18-25 April 2015
Visiting local sites with links to famous authors, interviewing members of the Murder Squad, mingling with the Whovians, reliving past eras through historical fiction, Q&A with a rugby legend… all this and more was on offer when Wrexham’s first literary festival came to the town.
Peter Read, local poet and playwright, and Dave Ebsworth, local historical fiction author, were two of the driving forces behind this literature event which offered something for all.
Dave said, ‘We decided to call it A Carnival of Words because this is far more than just a traditional literary festival. The event is aimed at everybody who’s ever had an interest in books or writing. It’s geared towards local families, and the focus is very much on fun and entertainment.’
The whole community got behind the Carnival, including a number of local businesses who offered their support to several of the events, and secondary schools who were invited to participate in a short story competition. A temporary shop opened in Eagles Meadow, hosting free events and providing information and interaction with the general public.
The varied programme of events included the following:
- A literary bus tour visiting sites in and around Wrexham.
- An evening with Gareth Thomas, rugby legend.
- Dinner with Secret Millionaire, author and property developer, Kevin Green.
- A poetry book launch and reading with Liz Lefroy.
- Poems & Pints: remisniscences on 150 years of Wrexham Football Club.
- Panel discussion with the Murder Squad, authors from the Crime Writers’ Association.
- Writers’ workshops for budding authors.
- Local author reception, including the children’s story writing competition winners and the World Book Night giveaway.
- Whovian Happenings: a family event for fans of Dr Who, with authors Justin Richards and Mark Wright.
- Romans to Redcoats: popular historical novelists described their passion for the past and led light-hearted discussions with the audience.
- Ddirgelwch & Llofruddiaeth: a murder mystery in Welsh.
More information about the 2016 Carnival will be posted soon…